Year 6 Chestnut and Oak
Welcome to Year 6!
Year 6 holds so many exciting adventures and new shared experiences that foster a real sense of belonging in the year group; forming strong bonds and friendships. Our pupils and staff form a wonderful support network that helps the children as they make those important steps towards secondary education.
With a busy year ahead, we have many engaging learning opportunities for the children. Topics include:
- a study of Black History through the Underground Railroad and significant people from across the world;
- a geographical study of the continents of North America and South America with particular focus on the biomes, climate and vegetation
- a study of Mary and Elizabeth, debating who had the most successful reign
- a look back at the affect World War II had on British people
- scientific studies of micro-organisms and a look at the human body
- an in-depth look at careers and an opportunity to create an enterprise
Year 6 prepares our pupils for their continued journey in education. Pupils in each class will take on important new roles and responsibilities this year. These include: junior leaders, librarians, aspiration councillors, mentors to their younger peers and reader leaders. Each role allows pupils to gain confidence; develop their communication and listening skills; grow in maturity with increased responsibility and learn the importance of self-motivation.
We very much look forward to the year ahead and to working with parents/carers and our pupils to make this a very special year at Dashwood.
The Year 6 Team – Mrs Bunn, Mrs Hope, Mrs Chew, Mrs Gordon-Weeks, Miss Brain and Miss Galloway.