Year 5 Beech and Sycamore
Welcome to Year 5 – Sycamore Class and Beech Class!
As we move into upper Key Stage 2, Year 5 holds so many exciting project based learning opportunities to really inspire and motivate our pupils and staff alike. We know that some things take a lot of practice but we never give up; resilience is key and we use any mistakes to further our learning.
With a busy year ahead, we have many engaging learning opportunities for the children. Topics include:
- a geographical study of the continents of South America with particular focus on the sustainability of Lake Titicaca
- a Design and Technology project that explores levers, pulleys and gears
- a study of Queen Victoria and the impact her reign had
- a look back at the Viking era debating whether they deserved to be branded as the criminals of Europe
- an in-depth look at the impact of World War I on the lives of men, women and society
- an enterprise project to plan, design, construct and evaluate an environmentally friendly product
Year 5 prepares our pupils for their final year at Dashwood in Year 6 and their continued journey in education. Pupils in each class will take on important new roles and responsibilities this year. These include: junior leaders, librarians, aspiration councillors and junior playground leaders to their younger peers. Each role allows pupils to gain confidence; develop their communication and listening skills; grow in maturity with increased responsibility and learn the importance of self-motivation.
We very much look forward to the year ahead and to working with parents/carers and our pupils to make this a very successful and happy year at Dashwood.
The Year 5 Team – Mrs Taylor and Mrs Simmons.